[images style=”2″ image=”http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebusinessleague.com.au%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F09%2Fnetworking-e1473911665874.jpg” width=”560″ align=”center” top_margin=”0″ alt_text=”Tips%20To%20Improve%20Networking” full_width=”Y”]
We often get told that it’s not what you know, it’s who you know. But nobody ever explains to us how to get to know the right people.
At the Business League, we think that what you know about networking can be just as important as your actual networking efforts. And after being in the business of networking for 7-years we are frustrated when we see people invest time and money into networking, but don’t invest the time to elarn how to do it well. So to overcome this, we’ve put together 5 tips to help you improve your networking skills:
- Have A Goal – Without a goal, networking is pointless. Know what your goal is and how networking will help you achieve it. Research shows that there is a positive correlation between naming and taking note of your goals and achieving them. It would be like saying you want to be the best swimmer in the world, but never setting a goal to win gold at the Olympics – it just won’t happen. Get clear on what you want out of your networking and set some goals around those outcomes.
- Know What You Want – If someone asked what they could do to help you achieve your goal, would you be able to answer? If not, then how could they possibly help you? Knowing what you want will let others know whether or not they can directly meet your needs – or if they can put you in contact with someone who can.
- Know Your Strengths – In order to get something from others, you have to give something in return. Know what your strengths are that others can benefit from. Also understand what your key selling points are and have something valuable to offer others. Remember that whatever you have to offer has functional benefits as well as emotional benefits.
- Know Where You Are – Are you trying to maintain your current position or grow it? You won’t grow unless you connect with businesses that are more successful and bigger than yours. Associating with businesses that have gone where you wish to go will help you to map your path there.
A great way to improve your networking is to attend one of our events. They are the best on the Gold Coast. CHECK THE NEXT ONE OUT HERE:
- Be Sincere – people can tell when you don’t really care, and will be less inclined to connect with you if they detect you’re faking it. According to Rajat Taneja, who is the executive vice president and CTO of Electronic Arts, “In your career you may be faced with opportunities to cut corners, but in the end sincerity is what will propel you forward.” Be present with the person yo uare talking to. If you can tell your looking for the next person to talk to they will be notice this as well.
While this isn’t an exhaustive list, it is definitely a great place to start. If tips and guidance like this are something you feel you could benefit more from, then you need to become a member of The Business League. Come and join us, and practice some of these tips at our next Business League Business Breakfast. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION