What are the different levels of Networking?
The top 5 sources for businesses that are in the up to 5 million dollar turn over mark is Networking or Referral Generated Business. If you’re in that boat and you do networking or you’re looking at networking as a valid marketing avenue for your business I want to let you know the 6 levels of networking so you can understand where you’re currently doing it and what you need to do to improve.
My name is Edward Plant and I’m from The Business League we ran business networking support for business owners in order to Connect, Develop and Grow your business.
If you’re networking or looking into networking, you’re going to fall into 1 or 6 categories of networking and they’re going to have the impact that you’re going to get, the returns that you’re going to get and the referrals that you’re going to gain which is the most ultimate goal of networking. I’m going to go through all those now.
- Freebies- From our experience with The Business League we’ve created a guided that shows you one of the places that you currently sitting in terms of your networking and networking effectiveness. When we’re looking at the networking effectiveness we’re looking at the Referrals, the networking and the impact you’re having and what we find is at the very base level is those freebie networking events that are free because they do not cross marks they attract a heaps of people at that can I say immature business level without being mean that they’re growing, they’re working part time and getting their business off the ground they’re very early stages of business and they’re not willing to heavily invest in marketing and networking being one of their marketing so their looking for freebies and what they end up doing is chasing and the referrals are going backwards, they’re not great and they can’t measure it with that.
- Net-Play-ing – Where it’s a bit more social than anything . The referrals are coming because of the friendship that you formed and the impact is you’ll just be hang-over from over drinking at the night events that you go to.
- Net-NOT-working – When you stepped up a little bit but it’s not working. The referrals are unreliable, the impact is that it’s draining, you’re just spending so much time building relationships with so many people. You’re probably networking across a number of events and you’re just trying to flag the market place but it’s net-not-working.
- Net-WORK-ing – You’re cracked it, you made a number of changes and you’re starting to see referrals are coming in and the impact is worthwhile.
- Reliable – Where you got some strong alliances from your networking. They’re providing reliable referrals, consistently reliable. This is steady stream and you’re having a significant impact on your business and it is now a viable marketing avenue for your business.
- Flow – Strategic networking. You’ve got referrals coming in and you’re impact is exponential. You’re now getting a greater return than the events that you’re turning up because you build those relationships you’re able to influence beyond the one or two people on your contact. You’ve got a very strategic approach and it’s working well. You should see this ladder that we have for you to have a look at to keep somewhere close. Basically that’s the networking ladder and looking at whether you’re in freebies or strategic, whether you are going backwards or in flow and whether your results are chasing or you’re getting exponential awesome results.
What I love t o know is where are you at on that networking ladder. Are you down at the bottom? Or at the top? Are you in the middle? Or do you fluctuate? Drop us an email. Press reply and let us know. We love to hear you.
More importantly we love to know what you’re going to do to step it up. My recommendation would be go to a good quality networking event. If you’re in Queensland I got to know one I’m completely bias at this point so do take it with a gram of salt but we run one of the best Networking Business Breakfast in the Gold Coast. Check it out and come along as a guest, see what it’s all about and bring your networking ladder and your referral generator game plan and let’s get you some good networking. Edward Plant from The Business League signing off.